Phi Mu was founded on January 4, 1852 at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia. Originally known as the Philomathean Society, it and Alpha Delta Pi, also founded at Wesleyan College, are known as the “Macon Magnolias.” Phi Mu was founded by Mary DuPont (Lines), Mary Myrick (Daniel) and Martha Hardaway (Redding). The founding was publicly announced on March 4, 1852, the day that is celebrated as Founders’ Day. On August 1, 1904, the group received a charter from the state of Georgia and was established as Phi Mu Fraternity. The second chapter was founded at Hollins College in 1904. Phi Mu joined the National Panhellenic Conference in 1911.
For Founders’ Day 1922, a fundraising campaign culminated with the purchase of the Phi Mu Healthmobile. Touring each of Georgia’s 158 counties, it operated as a clinic on wheels during the seasonable months. The State Board of Health furnished a physician, nurse, chauffeur, and movie operator. During its early years, many of the people that were treated had never seen a motion picture before; the films the Healthmobile showed were educational in nature. By the early 1940s, the Healthmobile assisted with tuberculosis control and carried both x-ray and fluoroscope machines.
© Fran Becque www.fraternityhistory.com